A Digital Experience Platform
World-Class Self-Service Management of Cloud Services
The communications industry is complex and often difficult for customers to navigate, yet customer expectations for digital interactions are at an all-time high. With a vision to transform the experience of their customers and bring simplicity to complex interactions, our client envisioned a world-class self-service digital experience platform for their commercial customers. Our client aspired for a single customer experience that provided personalized interactions based on the unique mix of products and services each customer deployed. Integrations were required to be highly performant and secure to a wide variety of legacy systems. While this challenge alone may seem great, our client was also in the midst of a merger and the new solution was required to meet the business and technical needs of not one – but two – distinct enterprises with different offerings, architectures, processes, brands, and user experiences.
Our client envisioned a system that would:
- Enable commercial customers to access and manage their cloud environments.
- Create visibility to real-time usage, performance, and availability monitoring.
- Replace forms and emails with fully functional self-service online transactions to remain accessible 24x7, 365 days a year.
- Connect user identities and credentials by integrating dozens of systems as a result of prior acquisitions.
- Allow users to fully interact with the system’s capabilities using the device of their choice.
- Deliver a highly engaging, high quality online experience that customers are delighted to use while reducing the cost of customer care.
- Provide real-time views of services and information concerning their account.
- Equip customers to pay bills, place orders, view order history, change features, and upgrade services quickly and easily.
- Supply users with online training, user guides, and system documentation.
- Increase revenue by creating customer visibility to intelligent up/cross sell opportunities for companion products and services.
- Improve processes and reduce engineering time required for pricing, configuration, and provisioning.
Through strong collaboration, the client and sdg partnered to create a self-service digital experience that exceeded both industry and customer expectations. sdg provided guidance from planning through implementation. The project kicked off by co-developing both the business architecture and the technical architecture with the client. As part of the business architecture, the project’s business case, key capabilities, and known constraints were shared. Key user audiences were identified and profiled. Compliance and regulatory issues were reviewed, impacted processes were evaluated, and key requirements were captured. On the technology side, current state systems were reviewed including identity management, applications, integrations, and data sources. Best practices for future development were agreed upon, patterns and tooling were identified, and estimates were created. This collaborative effort resulted in an achievable agile sprint plan with supporting stories, a combined staffing plan for implementation, a target architecture for system implementation, and budget guidance for the duration of the project. With business and technical architectures in place, the client and sdg began the implementation phase. Initial focus was placed on identity management, provisioning and management processes and end-user account management tools. In addition, user experience design, initial Liferay theme implementation, and content production began. A limited release to a pilot audience was targeted within 6 months; this goal was not only achieved, but it was successfully received and delighted users. Today, continued feedback from stakeholders and system users continues to drive system enhancements. Users of the system enjoy its simple and modern responsive design. Our client’s vision of a highly functional, any-device digital experience platform for commercial customers has been realized and they are well positioned to adapt to their changing business climate.
sdg consultants partnered with our client in the following roles:
- Agile project delivery and management
- Solution architecture and business analysis
- Fully responsive user experience development
- Identity management, authentication and provisioning
- System architecture and application development
- Enterprise integration and data readiness
- Quality assurance management and test execution
- Consultation on long-term product management and operational strategies
- Documentation and training